Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Doctor Treadmill & Day 5, Phase 1

Once my Mystery Symptoms started appearing, it felt to me like I started seeing lots of doctors.  I don't remember exactly who I saw, in what order, and for what.

I do remember that a general practitioner was convinced I was having trouble with my GI tract and ordered a test where I had to swallow barium and then they x-rayed it.  Nothing showed up.  I also remember seeing a homeopath who said I had Lyme Disease.  I saw another cardiologist who said I was fine.

During this time, I was in high school.  The doctor treadmill had just begun.  No one found anything "wrong" yet I remember not feeling well.  I can't remember exactly what my symptoms were, 20 years later.  This is where I started to get the label of hypochondriac.  My friends were (mostly) kidding, I think.  But I did get the senior class award for "Most Likely to Call in Sick".

Thankfully I was able to keep up with my studies and graduated near the top of my class in 1996.  And I was off to college that fall!

Day 5, Phase 5

So here I am starting Day 5 of the LEAP diet.  I can't say I've had any moments of revelation yet.  I don't feel like one area is significantly better... I'm only starting to wonder - "Am I feeling better?"  What I mean by that is sometimes I think that I'm experiencing less abdominal pain.  I can't quite put my finger on it yet though.  And then sometimes I think my fatigue is lessening.  But then I slept until 10:30 AM this morning.  So there are contradictions to the clues I'm getting.

I feel like my joint pain will be the thing that will be easiest to recognize.  And actually, even more than that:  My ankle stiffness.  Every morning when I get up, and anytime I've been sitting and get back up, the stiffness and pain in my ankles is very noticeable.  My god, I hope that goes away!!!

As for what I'm eating, it is pretty simple fare.  I rarely make recipes, mainly just use whole ingredients (for instance:  beef roast, turkey breast, steamed asparagus, steamed broccoli, etc.).  I have a couple recipes I've been enjoying - the Sweet Potato, Carrot, Apple Soup, and my homemade granola.  I've also been enjoying a "dessert" of sunflower seed butter mixed with a little bit of honey, some unsweetened raw cocoa powder, and some of the granola mix.  That definitely satisfies my cravings for dessert.

And yesterday I made Lemonade with Honey.  My husband was a fan, and it was all raw (fresh squeezed lemon juice and raw honey blended with water and chilled), so it was pretty darn healthy for us.  On a hot day like yesterday, we really needed something to replenish our reserves, and this is a MUCH healthier alternative to an energy drink.




No comments:

Post a Comment